PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS WEBSITE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THOSE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, YOU MUST NOT USE THIS WEBSITE.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT OFFER REGULATED INVESTMENTS. THEREFORE IT IS NOT AUTHORISED OR REGULATED BY THE FINANCIAL CONDUCT AUTHORITY. AS WITH ALL DONATION OR REWARDS BASED CROWDFUNDING, THERE IS NO RECOURSE TO EITHER THE FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN SERVICE OR THE FINANCIAL SERVICES COMPENSATION SCHEME.
PRIVACY AND DATA PROTECTION
(2) It will help you to understand the Terms and Conditions if you understand how we use certain expressions on this website:
a Business Day any day which is not a Saturday, Sunday or public or bank holiday in England;
Content means any of the following: any content and any information relating to a Project which is submitted for approval by or on behalf of the University and Oxford University Innovation and any other content or information made available on this website from time to time;
a Donation the money paid or received as a result of a Pledge;
the Payment Processor PayPal (Europe) S.à.r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. (R.C.S. Luxembourg B 118 349) or any other entity used from time to time to collect or process any Donation;
Personal Data has the meaning set out in the Data Protection Act 1998
a Pledge means a promise of a donation to a Project made through this website;
a Project means a campaign which has been approved by us (or on our behalf) to raise donations for a cause, activity or event via this website;
a Project Owner means a registered member of the University who is seeking to raise funding or has raised funding for a Project through this website;
a Sponsor means a person who makes a Pledge;
Sponsorcraft means Sponsorcraft Limited, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 07699834, whose registered office is at 9 Eaton Crescent, Clifton, Bristol, BS82EJ;
the Target means the minimum amount which must be raised for a Project in order for Sponsorcraft to have authority to transfer the amount Pledged from the Sponsor’s account;
the Time Limit the time within which the Target must be reached;
we or us the University and Oxford University Innovation (or either of them); and
you the person using this website.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY AND OXFORD UNIVERSITY INNOVATION LIMITED
(3) This website is operated by the Chancellor Masters and Scholars of the University of Oxford (the University) and Oxford University Innovation Limited.
(4) The University is an exempt charity. Its main offices are at the University Offices, Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JD, United Kingdom. Its VAT number is GB 125 5067 30.
(5) Oxford University Innovation Limited is the technology transfer office of and a wholly owned subsidiary of the University and is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 2199542, whose registered office is at the University Offices, Wellington Square, Oxford , OX1 2JD, United Kingdom. Its VAT number is GB 490 7988 85.
THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
(6) By registering to use this website, submitting a proposed Project for approval by or on behalf of the University and Oxford University Innovation, or making a Pledge or using this website in some other way, you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions (as defined above).
(7) Your use of this website creates a contract between (on the one hand) you and (on the other hand) the University and Oxford University Innovation. The Terms and Conditions apply to that contract.
(8) We may change the Terms and Conditions at any time by amending this webpage. It is up to you to check this webpage when you use this website. You agree to the Terms and Conditions in force at the time you use this website.
(9) For future reference, please print a copy of the Terms and Conditions, or save them to your computer.
REGISTRATION AND YOUR ACCOUNT
(10) In order to submit a proposed Project or make a Pledge you must register and select a password and user name.
(11) You must not create or use a user name which:
- is the name of another person with the intention of impersonating that person;
- is subject to any rights of any other person without appropriate authorisation; or
- we deem offensive or unsuitable.
(12) We may refuse to register or may cancel a user name and may disable any user name or password, at any time, if you have breached the Terms and Conditions.
(13) You must not use another person’s account and must not allow another person to use your account.
(14) You must keep your password confidential.
(15) To the extent permitted by applicable law, you are responsible for all use of this website which occurs under your account or password.
(16) If you have any reason to believe that your password has become known to anyone else, or if your password is being, or is likely to be used in an unauthorised manner, you must notify us immediately by email to email@example.com.
(17) You are responsible for ensuring that the details you provide to us are correct and complete, and for informing us of any changes to the information you have provided. You can access and update the Content and other information you have provided, including your account settings, by using the account settings button on the navigation bar of this website.
(18) If you wish to cancel your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
(19) We may refuse to let you use this website, cancel your registration or account, restrict your access to all or any part of this website or remove or edit any Content, with immediate effect at any time and without giving any reason. This may result in the deletion or destruction of all or some of your information and Content.
(20) Your right to use this website will cease immediately if you breach the Terms and Conditions.
THE UNIVERSITY’S AND OXFORD UNIVERSITY INNOVATION’S ROLE, PROJECTS AND PLEDGES
(21) The University and Oxford University Innovation provide this website to facilitate the raising of donations for Projects carried out by people who hold a University card number. We do not advise on, manage or deal in securities. Nor do we promote or operate a collective investment scheme or an alternative investment fund.
(22) This website may NOT be used for any of the following purposes:
- soliciting, arranging or agreeing to provide or receive any funding by way of loan or equity finance;
- soliciting, arranging or agreeing to provide or receive any funding in return for shares, debt securities or other securities, or any option to acquire any shares, debt securities or other securities;
- offering, arranging or agreeing to provide or receive any funding in return for any share of profits or revenues;
- issuing any financial promotion or any invitation or inducement to engage in any investment activity;
- offering or agreeing to supply any goods or services in return for any Pledge or Donation;
- offering any reward which consists of cash, gold or silver coins or bullion, any raffle, any gift card or any sweepstake; or
- any activity which may break any law, statute or regulations, such as:
I. currency exchange;
II. the refinancing of any debt;
III. any lottery or gambling; or
IV. any get rich quick scheme.
(23) Neither we nor Sponsorcraft is liable for the relationship or any dealing or transaction between any Sponsor and any Project Owner. This includes, but is not limited to, the provision of any reward, goods or services by any Project Owner and any undertaking, warranty or representation made by any Sponsor or any Project Owner.
(24) Neither we nor Sponsorcraft is a party to any contract between any Project Owner and any Sponsor and neither we nor Sponsorcraft assumes any responsibility arising out of or in connection with any such contract. Nor is the University, Oxford University Innovation or Sponsorcraft the agent of any Project Owner or Sponsor.
(25) Project Owners are responsible for carrying out their Project and for dealing with any claim from any Sponsor or other issue arising out of or in connection with their Project. Sponsors accept that a Project may not be successful or completed, may not achieve its aims and objectives and may not meet the Sponsor’s expectations. The University and Oxford University Innovation are not responsible for the carrying out or completion of any Project and will not be liable for the carrying out or completion of any Project or the failure to carry out or complete any Project.
(26) Neither we nor Sponsorcraft warrants that any Donation will be used for any particular purpose. Neither we nor Sponsorcraft will be liable for any misuse of any Donation.
(27) We may remove a Project from this website and cancel all Pledges for that Project at any time without notice or liability and without giving any reason.
(28) Anyone who is registered on this website as a Sponsor may make one or more Pledges for one or more Projects. We may, without notice or liability and without giving any reason, reject any Pledge and remove that Pledge from this website.
(29) By making a Pledge the Sponsor irrevocably authorises us (or a third party authorised by us) to deduct the amount pledged from the Sponsor’s account if the aggregate of all the Pledges made for that Project (excluding any Pledge we have rejected) meet or exceed the Target within the Time Limit.
(30) Once made, a Pledge may not be revoked by the Sponsor. Project Owners may, at their discretion, refund any Donation received by the Project Owner to the Sponsor. Neither we nor Sponsorcraft will be responsible for making any refund of any Donation received by any Project Owner.
(31) The amount pledged will be collected from the Sponsor via the Payment Processor. Neither we nor Sponsorcraft is responsible for the acts or omissions of the Payment Processor, and neither we nor Sponsorcraft undertakes or warrants that any Pledge will be honoured or that all Donations will be received by the Project Owner(s). Donations are transferred at the Sponsor’s risk.
(32) The University will use reasonable endeavours to transfer to the Project Owners all Donations collected for their Project and actually received by the University (less the fees paid to the Payment Processor and any irrecoverable VAT on those fees) within 15 Business Days after the University receives those Donations.
(33) When a Project Owner submits a proposed Project for approval by or on behalf of the University and Oxford University Innovation, he represents, warrants and undertakes that:
- he is a registered member of the University and has a current University card number;
- he is 18 years of age or older;
- the head of the relevant department of the University, his Departmental Administrator or the University of Oxford Development Office (UODO) divisional team has agreed that the proposed Project be submitted;
- he has ultimate responsibility for the Project (or is acting with the express authority of the person with that responsibility);
- he will obtain, maintain and renew (as applicable) any and all approvals, authorities, consents, licences and other permissions necessary to use this website, to submit his Project for approval by or on behalf of the University and Oxford University Innovation, to carry out his Project, to achieve the Target within the Time Line and to comply with all applicable laws;
- he will use all Donations received in connection with the Project in accordance with the Project’s stated aims and objectives;
- he will not misuse any Donation, including not using any Donation for purposes which are not the Project’s stated aims and objectives;
- all content and information given in connection with his proposed Project are true, accurate, up-to-date, complete and not misleading in any way;
- and he will list the type of rewards (if any) offered in exchange for each Pledge or Donation;
- he will include a disclaimer in the Content relating to the Project to the effect that the delivery of any reward is not guaranteed; and
- except in the event of unforeseen circumstances over which he has no control, he will still be a member of the University on completion of the Project.
CHANGES AND SUSPENSION
(34) We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or amend any part of this website, any Content or any service we provide via this website without notice or liability and without giving any reason.
(35) We may suspend, withdraw or restrict any person’s access to any or all parts of this website or any Content or service provided through it without notice or liability and without giving any reason.
(36) We may suspend or close this website temporarily, indefinitely or permanently without notice or liability and without giving any reason.
(37) We will not be liable if this website or any Content or service provided through it is unavailable at any time or for any period.
(38) You agree:
- not to use this website except for the purposes of seeking Pledges for a Project or making a Pledge for a Project;
- not to use any Personal Data which you acquire through this website except for the purposes of seeking Pledges for a Project or making a Pledge for a Project and not to misuse any Personal Data which you acquire through this website;
- not to use this website for any unlawful purpose or in any way which is unlawful;
- not to use this website in any way which infringes any patent, trade mark, copyright, trade secret, database right, other intellectual property right, right of confidence or other right of any other person or which breaks any law or breaches any contract;
- not to create any Content or post any material to this website or provide any information which:
I. is false, misleading or inaccurate;
II. is fraudulent or criminal;
III. is obscene, offensive, defamatory or unlawful in any other way;
IV. causes annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety;
V. is political campaigning, commercial solicitation, a chain letter, mass mailing or any form of "spam", junk mail or advertising which has not been authorised in writing by us;
VI. causes, or is likely to cause, this website or any access to it to be interrupted, damaged or impaired in any way;
VII. results in the introduction of any software virus, trojan, worm, logic bomb or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful interfering with, damaging or destroying the proper function of this website or corrupting or destroying any Content or other information of software code;
f) not to use this website to impersonate any person;
g) not to take any action that imposes or may impose (as determined by us in our sole discretion) an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the infrastructure which hosts this website;
h) not to engage in any activity which interferes with or disrupts this website or any part of it (or the infrastructure which hosts this website), including (but not limited to) attacking this website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack;
i) not to access (or attempt to access) this website by any means except through the interface which is provided by us, unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate agreement with us; and
j) not to access (or attempt to access) this website through any automated means (including use of scripts or web crawlers) and agree not to run any form of spam or auto-responder on this website.
(39) You are responsible for ensuring that everyone who accesses this website through your password or account:
- is aware of the Terms and Conditions; and
- complies with the Terms and Conditions.
(40) You are r esponsible for providing and configuring your information systems and devices in order to access and use this website, including for implementing anti-virus protection and firewalls.
(41) We may report any breach of the Terms and Conditions to any relevant law enforcement authority and may disclose your identity to that authority.
(42) This website may not be used by anyone who is under 18 years old. You warrant that you are 18 years old or older.
(43) We do not warrant that any Content will be available on this website.
(44) We may remove, edit or change any Content at any time, but we are under no obligation to update it and the Content may be out of date.
(45) We are not responsible for any Content or other information which has been posted by or originates from any third party, including but not limited to Content and other information provided by any Project Owner or Sponsor, the content of any pitch, pitch video, image and what is said in in any discussion or correspondence between any Sponsor or potential Sponsor and any Project Owner or his representative.
(46) Neither the University nor Oxford University Innovation has any special relationship with or any fiduciary duty to any Sponsor or potential Sponsor. You acknowledge that we cannot control, nor have we any obligation to act in relation to:
- the way in which any Sponsor or potential Sponsor uses the Content;
- what Content any Sponsor or potential Sponsor accesses via this website;
- the impact the Content may or may not have on any Sponsor or potential Sponsor;
- the way in which users gain access to this website; or
- what actions any Sponsor or potential Sponsor may take as a result of having seen any Content.
(47) The Content is protected by intellectual property rights, including copyright. You may not copy, modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on any Content which does not originate from you (either in whole or in part) unless you have permission to do so from the owner of the intellectual property rights in that Content.
(48) You must not print off copies or download any extracts from any part of this website without first obtaining our written permission.
(49) We may monitor, pre-screen, review, flag, filter, modify, refuse or remove any Content, but we are not obliged to do so.
(50) You agree that you are solely responsible for (and that we have no responsibility to you or to anyone else for) any Content (including, without limitation, its accuracy) which you create or post to this website.
(51) No Content is intended to amount to advice on which you may rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of any Content. Neither the University nor Oxford University Innovation will be liable for any reliance placed on any Content by you or anyone who you may disclose any Content.
(52) The views expressed in any Content are those of the creators of that Content and do not represent the University’s or Oxford University Innovation’s views.
(53) We do not claim copyright in any Project Owner’s Content. By submitting any Content the Project Owner grants us a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive right to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, make available to the public and distribute that Content and to sub-license third parties to do so.
(54) We may make such changes to any Project Owner’s Content as are necessary to adapt that Content to the technical requirements of publishing it in this website and connecting networks, devices, services or media.
(55) Each Project Owner waives his moral rights, and confirms that other contributors have waived their moral rights in relation to any Content or information about the Project, including his and their right to be identified as its author and for his and their work not to be subjected to any detrimental treatment.
(56) We grant Sponsors and potential Sponsors registered with this website a personal, non-transferable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to use the Content for the sole purpose of allowing them to evaluate Projects and make Pledges.
OTHER WEBSITES AND LINKING TO THIS WEBSITE
(57) This website may contain links to other websites or resources on the Internet, and other websites or resources may contain links to this website. We have no control over those other websites or resources and are not responsible for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
(58) The fact that this website provides a link to a third party website does not in any way constitute our endorsement of or association with that other website.
(59) You may not create a link to any page of this website without first obtaining our written consent.
(60) You may not create any Content and repost that Content, either manually or automatically, without first obtaining our written consent.
(61) This website must not be framed on any other website without first obtaining our written consent.
(62) We may withdraw any consent without notice or liability and without giving any reason.
WARRANTIES AND DISCLAIMERS
(63) You warrant that all Content and other information which you provide:
- has not been copied from anyone else;
- is your own original work;
- will not damage or cause harm to anyone’s good name or reputation;
- is not defamatory;
- is not an invasion of privacy; and
- does not infringe any intellectual property rights;
- you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the rights in paragraphs 53 and 54 above; and
(64) We do not warrant that:
- this website is or will be secure or available at any particular time or location;
- this website or any Content will be free from errors or omissions;
- the Content is accurate, complete or up-to-date;
- any defects or errors will be corrected;
- any Content or software available at or through this website is free of viruses, malicious code or other harmful components; or
- the results of using this website and the Content will meet your requirements.
(65) You use this website and the Content at your own risk.
(66) Each user of this website and each person who provides us with any Content or other information, agrees to indemnify the us and keep us fully indemnified, on demand, against all and any claims, costs, expenses, losses, fines, penalties and liabilities incurred by us as a result of that person’s breach of any the Terms and Conditions or failure to make any refund of any Donation which should be made by that person.
THE UNIVERSITY’S AND OXFORD UNIVERSITY INNOVATION’S LIABILITY
(67) Most of the Content and information on this website has been provided by third parties. The opinions expressed are theirs and not the University’s or Oxford University Innovation’s.
(68) We do not support, authorise, endorse, check or validate any opinion, Content or other information given to us.
(69) We are not responsible as the author, editor or publisher for any of the Content or information on this website which has been given to us by any other person.
(70) Subject to paragraph 75, we will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by misleading, inaccurate, out of date or incomplete Content or information on this website and you use the information on this website at your own risk, in the knowledge that you must not rely only on that information when taking any decision.
(71) To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all warranties, conditions and terms (except those in the Terms and Conditions) whether explicit or whether implied by statute, common law, custom or trade usage, including (without limitation) any warranty or condition relating to satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose, and the use of reasonable care and skill in relation to the Content and other information on this website.
(72) Subject to paragraph 75, we will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of, or in connection with, the use, inability to use, or the results of using any Content or other information on this website, whether that loss or damage arises from negligence, breach of contract, or in any other way.
(73) In any case, but subject to paragraph 75, we will not be liable for: any loss of profits, loss of income or revenue, loss of business, loss of contracts, loss of opportunity, loss of savings, loss of goodwill or reputation, lost or wasted management time or the lost time of employees, loss of use, loss or spoiling of data, any virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your information systems, computer programs, data or other materials or for any other loss or damage of any kind (in each case whether direct or indirect) whether that loss or damage arises from negligence, breach of contract, or in any other way.
(74) In any case, but subject to paragraph 75, we will not be liable for any indirect loss, even if we have been advised of, or knew of, the likelihood of that loss or type of loss arising, whether that loss or damage arises from negligence, breach of contract, or in any other way.
(75) Nothing in the Terms and Conditions excludes or limits the University’s or Oxford University Innovation’s liability for death or personal injury arising from its negligence, or for any fraud on its part, or for any other liability which the law does not allow the University or Oxford University Innovation to exclude or limit.
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION
(76) The University and Oxford University Innovation are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and subordinate legislation. We may make any disclosures required under that Act and legislation.
(77) No one except you, the University and Oxford University Innovation has any right to enforce any of the Terms and Conditions or has any benefit under the Terms and Conditions.
(78) If we delay or fail to enforce any of the Terms and Conditions, we will still be able to enforce them later.
(79) Each of the paragraphs of the Terms & Conditions operates separately. If any court or competent authority decides that any of them are unenforceable, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
(80) Your statutory rights as a consumer are unaffected by the Terms and Conditions and you may have rights under statute additional to those granted by the Terms and Conditions.
(81) The following paragraphs of this page will survive the cancellation of your account, the termination of your right to use this website, the making of any Donation and the completion of any Project: 1, 2, 6-8, 12-17, 19, 20, 22-31, 33, 34-37, 39, 41, 43-55, 57-62, 64, 65, 66, 67-75, 76, 77-82 and will continue in full force and effect indefinitely.
(82) The Terms and Conditions, and the contract formed by your use of this website are governed by, and to be construed in accordance with, English law. The courts of England and Wales will have non-exclusive jurisdiction to resolve any contractual or non-contractual dispute arising in connection with their or its subject matter.
CORRECTIONS AND COMPLAINTS
(83) We want the Content to be as accurate as possible. If you wish to correct anything on this website, please contact email@example.com.
(84) If you think that any Content is defamatory of you, please send notice to firstname.lastname@example.org. That notice must:
- give your name;
- set out the statement concerned and where on this website it was posted;
- explain why the offending statement defames you;
- provide your email address;
- set out the meaning which you attribute to the offending statement;
- give the aspects of the offending statement which you believe are factually inaccurate or opinions not supported by fact;
- confirm that you do not have enough information about the poster of the offending statement to bring proceedings against the poster; and
- confirm whether or not you consent to us giving your name and email address to the poster of the offending statement.
(85) If you think that that any information on this website infringes any copyright or other intellectual property rights which you own or control, please send notice to email@example.com. That notice must include:
- a description or copy of the work that you claim has been infringed;
- evidence that you are the owner of the intellectual property rights in the work or that you are authorised to act on behalf of the owner;
- details of where on this website the information which you claim is infringing is located;
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that the infringement has not been authorised by the rights owner or its agent; and
- a statement that the information in your notice is correct and true and that you are the owner of the intellectual property rights in the work which you claim has been infringed, or that you are authorised to act on behalf of the owner.